75100385

Hello. My contract with Orange ended in October after two years.

Customer Question

Hello. My contract with Orange ended in October after two years. I rang them to ask what the procedure was to perhaps start another contract or maybe go on a sim only contract. I was informed I needed to give a months notice to end the contract, and pay outstanding bill which I did immediately. This took me to November, I then phoned them to tell them I had decided to go with another network. I was then told another bill had been generated, which had to be paid, I paid it, and was then told I had to wait 20 days for my phone to be unlocked. It was explained to me that in order to have my phone unlocked I would have to send an e-mail. I did all this at the beginning of December. Just before Christmas I phoned to find out why my phone was still locked onto Orange network. I was told there was an outstanding bill and my request to have my phone unlocked had been cancelled until it was paid. I was told I would have to re-apply to have my phone unlocked and wait a further twenty days. I paid the bill and re-applied to have phone unlocked. I waited twenty days again, nothing. Phoned Orange and was told there was an outstanding bill of £2.40. Once this was paid I would have to re-apply and wait a further twenty days. What can I say? I'm losing hair here. PLEASE help me. (I did pay the £2.40)

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you written formally to complain? Where are we now with this - has it been transferred?

JACUSTOMER-2z7bfkh0- :

Hi Alex, thanks for helping. In answer to your question - no I haven't written formally to complain. You are first person I have spoke to about this. It would appear that Orange try and make it very difficult to change networks. My contract ended in October which was when I phoned Orange to get some advice on perhaps upgrading or whatever. However I decided to go with another network provider in the end. I phoned Orange who only then advised me I had to give 28 days notice to get out of the contract! I did this. Another full contract bill was generated for month of November, I paid it,T and then once the 28 days was up I tried putting new sim card from new network provider into my phone. It was locked onto Orange network. I was told by orange that to have it unlocked I had to apply by e-mail and pay £20. I paid £20 and sent e-mail. I waited 20 days for the unlocking code. Nothing. I phoned them. I was told the process had been cancelled because a December bill of £45 was now outstanding. I disputed this as I had been using my other new sim card from my new provider. I was told not to worry, just pay it and a refund would be applied on a final bill in January! I paid the December bill and again had to re-apply to have my phone unlocked by e-mail and wait twenty days again. This brought me up to 23rd December. Nothing. I phoned Orange again. I think you may know where this is going Alex! They tell me there is an outstanding bill for January and the process has been cancelled. I would have to re-apply ONCE I'd paid the January Bill of £54. I know it sounds stupid, but I actually paid the January bill so desperate was I to have my phone unlocked finally. The lady told me I shouldn't have to wait 20 days this time, as she was going to speed it through for me. On the 3rd January I phoned them again as the code had still not been received by myself. A staff member from Orange apologised and told me it would be sent to my e-mail address within 72 hours. On the 7th January I phoned them again to see why the code hadn't been sent....and they tell me there is an outstanding bill of £2.40. I honestly couldn't believe this was happening. And guess what? They told me I'd have to re-apply to have my phone unlocked and was told this time it could take up to 30 days for the unlocking code to come through. I know you probably deal with far more important issues than this but I think its so unfair that a huge company like them can treat people like this. And get away with it.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

JACUSTOMER-2z7bfkh0- :

Is it possible that you could send a letter of intent on my behalf? How much would this cost. Many thanks for your time, Orla

Alex Watts :

Sadly this is a question and answer site and we can not be instructed, otherwise I would like to have helped.

Alex Watts :

Does this answer your question Orla?

JACUSTOMER-2z7bfkh0- :

Hi Alex, be honest, should I just let this drop? I haven't a hope against a big company like them on my own have I ?

Alex Watts :

No, do not be bullied.

Alex Watts :

I think you should take this on. To be honest the matter is likely to settle before any trial.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Alex Watts :

I would go for it. Alex