29905560

i had a new automatic transmission fitted in my car 16months

Customer Question

i had a new automatic transmission fitted in my car 16months ago and it has gone again i have only done 1000miles since it was repaired what are my rights

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

What is the reason for the transmission going again - was it a faulty unit, faulty installation?

JACUSTOMER-i0v0cedu- :

not sure it has just stoped working i wanted to know my rights before i spoke to the garage as they are saying the warrenty is for a year only

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

JACUSTOMER-i0v0cedu- :

ok

Ben Jones :

You will have certain rights either through the Sale of Goods Act 1979 or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

In general they state that goods purchased must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described; also any services where must be carried out with reasonable care and skill, i.e. to a proper standard of workmanship. In addition, any materials provided as part of the work must match their description and be of satisfactory quality.

Whilst the contractual warranty may only last for a year, you can rely on these rights even after the warranty has expired. the key is that you must show the transmission, as an item, was not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose, or that the installation itself was not performed with reasonable care and skill or to a reasonable standard. As a lay person you may not be able to tell what is to blame so you may have to approach an independent garage to obtain their opinion on what the problem is most likely to be and determine from there whether the garage is to blame. If this was just caused by normal wear and tear or something outside of the control of the garage then they may not be liable but that would become clearer with time once you determine what caused the failure.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Ben Jones :

I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?