LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

An ex -partner has reported me to the police for something

Customer Question

An ex -partner has reported me to the police for something I have not done and it was proven, I really think this is an attempt on my ex-partners to discredit me and /or get me into trouble with the police. I think this is slanderous. Is there anything I can do to protect myself or prevent her from doing it again and can I take action against her if it happens again?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you tell me what he accused of and what happened at court if it went to court. If it didn't go to court what happened to prove things. When did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-6nlno2p7- :

It didn't actually go to court I was a accused of using this persons Id to set up on-line accounts, It was more a case of there was not enough evidence to support this but the accuser firstly didn't question me or confront me about this before going to the police and also the information that this person gave to the police was so inaccurate. I didn't live at the address that they had provided to the police. at at the time of when the alleged incident took place In January 2013. I just happened to be working on tour.

LondonlawyerJ :

So the police investigated and decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed and the allegation was false in any event? In terms of what you can do about this. The short answer is probably not very much. This lady has has made a false allegation about you and that seems to have been made to the police. You do not mention any further broadcasting via social media/emails etc. so I assume that this has not happened. There is no legal aid for bringing a defamation action and the costs of bringing an action are very high. There is another possible action you could bring that is known as Malicious Falsehood but again this is probably impractical and in the absence of wide broadcasting it is hard to see what compensation you would be entitled to.

LondonlawyerJ :

If her allegation was clearly an entirely false one and the result of her lies then it is possible she has committed a criminal offence (perjury or attempting to pervert the course of justice). These are serious offences and nearly always result in a prison sentence. Is this something you want? Making a complaint like this to the police would also likely lead them to look again at the original allegation she made. You will know better than me if that is wise.

LondonlawyerJ :

In terms of protecting yourself forewarned is forearmed to an extent. You should obviously avoid being alone with her and should not sen any communications at all that could be misunderstood to your disadvantage. If she has sent or does send you unpleasant texts or emails etc. then you should keep them as they may assist in discrediting her if she makes further allegations.

JACUSTOMER-6nlno2p7- :

Well to start, I would like the police to look into it again, and I would like this lady to discuss her actions. because something may of happened. but I know it had nothing to do with me, But I'm suspicious of the fact she didn't confront me in the first place, and when confronted. she refuses to answer.

LondonlawyerJ :

If she does make a false allegation and you are arrested again make sure you have a solicitor in the police station (this is free and if you do not know a solicitor use the duty solicitor) and make sure that solicitor knows the history.

JACUSTOMER-6nlno2p7- :

Could I talk to the police again based on what has happened? does the fact she hasn't confronted me and refusing to discuss this support this case?

LondonlawyerJ :

It sounds like you are still in touch with this lady "when confronted..." You might well be sensible to keep away from her. You seem to think that there may actually be something in her allegations but that you were suspected despite being innocent. Frankly that is her problem not yours! You would do well to leave this alone. Let sleeping dogs lie and hope you hear no more. As a general rule the less one has to do with the police and exes the better (maybe not a rule of law but a sound principle none the less).

LondonlawyerJ :

I hope I have answered your question but feel free to ask if you need more information. I would also be grateful if you would rate my reply.

JACUSTOMER-6nlno2p7- :

I'm not really in touch with her, it's just obviously when all this came about. I wold of like to got the bottom of this without taking it further. but this has helped thank you.

LondonlawyerJ :

.