tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

in sept 2012 we were flooded from our "home group" property,

Customer Question

in sept 2012 we were flooded from our "home group" property, were re housed into our current bungelow, which needs severe alteration,due to my partner being in a wheechair,we were promised these by home group,we got occoupational therepy reports stating the adaptions that needed done which were all agreed, but despite several dozen phone call, site visits by contractors, the work still has'nt been done,this is causing so many problems,my partner cannot access the property by herself due to steps at both doors,,she cannot acess the bathroom unaided due to its layout,all the doors need widened,a,wall needs removed,the list goes on, all this work was promised as a condition of the tenancy, we keep getting fobed off with obvious lies, and feel that they have long since broken ther "duty of care to there disabled tennant"can you pleasw sugest our next course of action
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thanks for your question. My name is Tony, I can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

A failure to make appropriate and necessary physical adjustments to property can be enforced in the county court. You would make a claim using an N1 Claim Form, which you issue in the county court.

tdlawyer :

It's much the same procedure as if you were bringing a claim for trespass or something like that.

tdlawyer :

The action is permitted under s.25 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.

tdlawyer :

Here is the legislation that permits this: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/50/section/25

tdlawyer :

This is the claim form that you would need: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=338

tdlawyer :

It's always worth getting a solicitor to do this for you if you can, they would be familiar with the system and would put things in a way that is likely to deal with this as quickly as possible for you.