COUNCIL TAX My son and his partner have had a very bad year

Customer Question

My son and his partner have had a very bad year financially (along with a lot of others) and has fallen behind with their council tax.The tax owing is £795.00...they tried to hide from the debt because of all the pressure they were under but the debt was handed over to the Bailiff's for collection-The debt is now £899.50 and they want a full payment!!
Payments have been made in;
July £180.00
Nov £150.00
Dec £120.00
Jan £100.00
They hope to keep up these regular payments to reduce their debt over the next few months.The bailiff's charge is £254 per visit and the next visit is due their anything they can do in view of the fact that they have been making re-payments?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What is your question exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In view of the fact that payments have been made how can we stop the bailiff's from getting involved? because they are coming with a van to remove goods...going to get really messy for them-they want to pay the bill but cannot pay it all in one go....hope this helps

Im not sure that I can give you any good news really.

The problem with this is fundamentally this. Council tax is due in full upon the date of demand. They will often allow residents to pay in instalments basically because it fits better with people's income generally. Once it has gone to bailiffs they have a liability order already and they are entitled to the full amount immediately.

There is no way around the fact that this money is due and the bailiffs are entitled to attend to collect upon. There is no legal way of preventing them.

What you can do is negotiate with them. Generally speaking, bailiffs will have lots of debtors to chase and some are more profitable for them than others. If a person appears to have lots of money and is not paying then they are going to be very interesting to a bailiff and likely to get more attention than a person who is paying.

The bailiffs probably won't agree to accept payments at a reduced rate but they can make payments nevertheless which will probably cause them to reduce in interest to the bailiffs.

The simple truth with bailiffs though is that if they refuse to accept an offer you cannot force them to do so but you can keep paying it which deters them if the payment is a large sum.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.