13262538

Hi, I have been seperated for 4 years and divorced for 2 years.

Customer Question

Hi, I have been seperated for 4 years and divorced for 2 years. We have an IVA together and a mutual agreement that he pays £200 per month for child maintenance for 2 children aged 12 and 10 and £120.00 towards the IVA. However I,m paying £50.00 towards the IVA to make the total £170.00 and £550.00 for the mortgage per month. He is now being irresponsible and unreasonable by only giving me £100.00 per month for maintenance and saying I have to pay the IVA because he was on the sick after operation for 4 weeks. He works full time earning approx £350.00-400 a week.Can you please advise would he have to pay towards the mortgage and still pay maintenance if i took him to court or the C.S.A
Many regards XXXXX XXXXX
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Was a Financial settlement agreed at the time of the Divorce and turned into a court order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

No it was a mutual agreement that we split the debt but definetly no court order or financial settement. He's also saying if I take him to the court to sort out mortgage he'll just go bankrupt and i'll have to pay for everything.

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I think its worth about £120,000 and £125,000 is still owed due to having to put arrears owed on to the end of the term.

What income do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im sorry to be rude but what would that have to do with finding out if he is eligable to pay half the morgage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive sent a reply.

It is crucial I am afraid.
Child maintenance is certainly payable - at 16% of his gross income (at most)
However he does NOT have to pay the mortgage on top of that UNLESS he is also liable for Spouse maintenance - and that is based more on what your income is than on anything else
The IVA is also a complication - which again means that your income is a relevant consideration.
However he is clearly underpaying the maintenance - unless the chidlren spend a considerable number of nights with him
I hope that this is of some assistance - if you need more details please ask