12826847

Good afternoon. I have a magistrates hearing on 14th Jan

Customer Question

Good afternoon.

I have a magistrates hearing on 14th Jan ( Tuesday) for s drink driving offence. Is there any way I can prevent the local newspaper printing my name & address?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Could you explain your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was stopped a few weeks ago and was breathalysed. Reading over 80. I was charged & bailed. My hearing is on Tuesday. I intend to plead guilty, and will do thd alcohol awareness course. I am in the forces, and I would prefer to keep them out of the loop. I have been made redundant, and leave in May. Is it possible to stop the local media mentioning my name?

Thanks for the information.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news really.

The press are perfectly entitled to attend and print if they choose. Whether they will or not is another matter. It is fair to say that its not a particularly interesting case so there may be better things to report. However they are free to if they wish.

There is an application that can be made to restrict the press but you have to show literally that your life is in danger. Its designed for people who will be hounded by a mob raised by the tabloid press. I've only ever seen it allowed once and that case involved a very high profile criminal and there would have been a public order problem if he had been named. Even then they always find ways around it as there is never a complete ban.

I'm afraid the freedom of the press is a really hallowed part of our constitution.

Im very sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's what I thought.

Thanks very much for your help and time.

Carl

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.