Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have been scammed by a guy from a dating site I gave him

Customer Question

I have been scammed by a guy from a dating site I gave him £8600 I have contacted the fraud department through my own police section but not heard any more the guy said he was a USA army sergent living in the uk
How can I track this guy down or get more help
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

This type of scam is very prolific at the moment.

Unfortunately, because the scam is usually perpetrated from abroad, its very difficult for the authorities to track down the fraudster.

Also these are not given priority by law enforcement agencies because they are probably too busy dealing with crimes of violence, sex abuse and terrorist.

Your best bet is to continue chasing the fraud team for information but realistically I'm afraid the money and culprit have probably long gone.

I'm sorry if this is not the answer you wanted but I have a duty to be honest and objective with you as a lawyer.