75100385

Hi, my brother has been living and working in the isle of man

Customer Question

Hi, my brother has been living and working in the isle of man for the past 12 months. However he has become unemployed and split from his partner. He has no money at all but doesn't want to leave the island as he loves the place and hopes to get back together. He was in work and paying NI contributions before moving from Northern Ireland. Can he claim any bemefits

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If he was paying and working in NI then obviously this is part of the UK as a whole.

Alex Watts :

Because of the Reciprocal Agreement with the UK, any National Insurance Contributions you have paid in the UK will have validity in the Isle of Man and vice versa. In fact, your National Insurance account will not be transferred to the Isle of Man until you have been on the Island for more than a year. This means that you will have exactly the same entitlement to all the contributory benefits (such as your Job Seekers ) as you did in the UK.

Alex Watts :

Therefore yes you/he will be able to claim benefits there.

Alex Watts :