75100385

Am I entitled to council property at 63yrs old I rent privetly.and

Customer Question

Am I entitled to council property at 63yrs old I rent privetly.and its so expensive I work part time as a nurse and really cant afford private renting

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You may be entitled to a Council property.

Alex Watts :

However as you can imagine there is a big waiting list and only a finite number of properites.

Alex Watts :

What would happen is that you would be put into a band, depending on your need.

Alex Watts :

For example someone who has a family and is about to be evicted, or under threat of serious hard would be in a higher band, but someone who is 18, living with parents and just wants to move out would be in a lower band.

Alex Watts :

Once you are in a band and the Council should tell you which band you are in, then you can bid for properties.

Alex Watts :

There are usually around 50-100 bids for each property.

Alex Watts :

But you can go on the list, into a band and bid for properties.

Alex Watts :

If you are on a low income then you may be entitled to Housing or Council Tax beneift

Alex Watts :

To check please go to: https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty be honest

Alex Watts :