75100385

how do I make a witness statement to defend a claim

Customer Question

how do I make a witness statement to defend a claim that the other side is trying to have set aside when I think there is no defence

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is this a County Court claim please?

JACUSTOMER-Customer- :

Yes for £22,000 and I obtained judgment by default as was constantly ignored by other side

Alex Watts :

Ok - so they are making the application to set aside and you want to oppose it?

Alex Watts :

You can see an example here:

Alex Watts :

In the top left you want : IN THE XXXX COUNTY COURT

Alex Watts :

Top right: Claim number: 123456

Alex Watts :

Then the rest of the formal as template but it must have a statement of truth at the bottom, that is: I believe the contents of this statement are true.

Alex Watts :

You need to serve a copy of that statement on the Court and the Defendant no less than 3 days before a hearing

Alex Watts :