in july 2013 my house was flooded I paid my insurance £2500

Customer Question

in july 2013 my house was flooded I paid my insurance £2500 excess in all this time my house has barely been touched due to the recent rain fall while a builder was starting to replace floor water was noticed to be coming in the air bricks which are a lower level than the floor would be if already replaced it would not have been seen, my neighbour who was flooded at the same time has his floor back in place and he has had no further damage, during this time I have had to get all my belongings removed from upstairs as it became damaged due to damp as the dehumdifers had been removed and no work had commenced. the insurance company now want me to put in a second claim costing me a further £5000 I feel this is unfair as no further damage was done and if the work had been completed I would not have put in a claim as it would be unlikely that further damage would have occurred

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

how can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I feel its unfair that hey expect me to make a second claim when minimal work has taken place and wondered if a job was on going if a second claim should be put in by the insurance company

What is your question about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it normal for insurance companies to put in a second claim for the same job when the first claim is still on going

Thanks. Sorry for the delay.

Whether you have to put another claim in or not really depends whether what has now developed is part of the same issue as before.

It also depends on whether the subsequent damage would not have occurred if the builders had done the work in a more timely fashion.

If the latter applies then I think it is part of the same claim.

You need to check your policy carefully because it may not be that to insurance excesses are payable if the claims are aggregated.

If the insurance company are insisting on another claim to fix the subequent damage and another insurance excess after you have made the formal complaint to them, I would refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman here

It is worth mentioning that the Ombudsman is not quick and this could take 12 months to resolve so you would be faced with going along with the insurance company in the interim and hoping that the Ombudsman will resolve the issue in your favour