75100385

How can I ensure no one else is scammed by an online shipping

Customer Question

How can I ensure no one else is scammed by an online shipping agency,my daughter bought a car off gumtree but lost thousands of pounds.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

My daughter decided to buy a car online,the car was advertised on Gumtree.It turned out the car was in Spain(first mistake)we were given a shipping agents website which is still up and running! They were very professional with live online chat and plausible working practices.Money was sent by bank transfer(huge mistake) but no sign of car or money was ever seen again.

Alex Watts :

Do you know which country the agents are based in please?

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

Start Time: 12/03/2013 08:22:14
End Time: 12/03/2013 08:49:06
Operators: Ariana Eva Mendes
Transcripts:
Please wait for a site operator to respond...
If you do not want to wait, please click here to leave us a message.
Operator Ariana Eva Mendes has joined the chat.
[08:22:26] Ariana Eva Mendes: Good morning
[08:23:36] Stuart O'Brien: Hi there can you tell me how much in total it would cost to buy and deliver with Reg number DE10KZS to scotland?
[08:23:50] Stuart O'Brien: Good morning
[08:24:04] Ariana Eva Mendes: Shipping fees was already paid by seller also let e check about this car please
[08:24:15] Stuart O'Brien: ok thanks
[08:28:10] Ariana Eva Mendes: I have found the car as: Volkswagen Polo TDI,Year 2010,Colour Black,Mileage 37500,Price 2900,VRN:DE 10 KZS Is this the vehicle you are interested in ?
[08:29:12] Stuart O'Brien: yes that is the car my daughter wants to buy? how does the payment work? do we pay a deposit then the full payment on delivery?
[08:29:26] Ariana Eva Mendes: The seller has already agreed to use our third party services.This means that we will act as a third party and guarantee your payment, same as the vehicle itself. Are you familiar with our 6 steps transaction ?
[08:29:48] Stuart O'Brien: no im not familiar with that
[08:30:46] Ariana Eva Mendes: Please follow me and I will explain.I will copy paste the steps for you;please read them carefully and ask if any question occurs.
[08:30:51] Ariana Eva Mendes: 1. Both parties agree to terms of the transaction,which includes a full and accurate description of the merchandise, sale price, number of days for the Buyer's inspection (2-3 days). 2. We will provide you our payment details. 3. You will have to submit the payment, by bank transfer,into our bank account in maximum 24 hours after you will receive the payment details.The money will remain in our bank account and will NOT be forwarded to the seller until the buyer receives,inspects and accepts the vehicle. 4. As soon as the vehicle leaves our warehouse we will send you the tracking number. 5. The Buyer has a number of 2-3 days for an inspection and the option to accept or reject the vehicle. 6. If the buyer accepts the vehicle, we will forward the payment to the seller. Should you dislike the vehicle for any reason, we will refund you in FULL in maximum 48 hours and return the vehicle to the seller at his expense.
[08:30:58] Ariana Eva Mendes: I can also see in the data base that there are two buyers on hold since they are waiting for the bank approval.
[08:32:25] Stuart O'Brien: ok that is perfect,we would like to go ahead with the bank transfer as soon as possible
[08:33:01] Ariana Eva Mendes: Our policy is first come first serve. In case you have funds available today you can buy it. The other two are waiting to get the funds in order to buy the vehicle.As soon they will get the funds they will contact us so we can provide the payment details in order to make the transfer of the funds.
[08:33:27] Stuart O'Brien: we have funds available today
[08:34:04] Ariana Eva Mendes: If you want to buy the vehicle and you have the funds available, you must provide us the following details: 1. Full name 2. Delivery address 3. Phone number / Fax Number 4. Email address As soon as we receive your details we will immediately forward you the payment details and payment instructions.
[08:34:22] Stuart O'Brien: ok
[08:34:39] Stuart O'Brien: Laura O'Brien
[08:35:53] Stuart O'Brien: 7 Highfield Avenue,Banchory,Kincardineshire,Scotland,Tel 01330 823699,[email protected]
[08:36:16] Ariana Eva Mendes: Ok few moments please.
[08:37:05] Ariana Eva Mendes: Done can you check your email ? All process for delivery it takes just 5 days also this shipping will be insured.Please note our shipping service it is DOOR TO DOOR shipping that mean you will receive this car in front of your house.
[08:40:15] Stuart O'Brien: ok give me 5 min
[08:41:09] Ariana Eva Mendes: Yes take your time Stuart
[08:42:00] Stuart O'Brien: im trying to contact my daughter,its her email account i gave you.Maybe better if you can send the details to my email? [email protected]
[08:42:26] Stuart O'Brien: we can do the bank transfer just the same
[08:42:36] Ariana Eva Mendes: Ok right now Stuart
[08:42:51] Stuart O'Brien: I am working on an oil rig so many miles from home
[08:44:33] Stuart O'Brien: Thanks Ariana i got the bank details,now i need my daughter to transfer the money to my account and then i will send it onto your bank
[08:44:54] Ariana Eva Mendes: Brilliant news Stuart. Once we have confirmation from our bank same day shipping will be started
[08:45:06] Stuart O'Brien: Perfect :-)
[08:45:59] Stuart O'Brien: do i need a reference number to say which car we are buying?
[08:46:24] Ariana Eva Mendes: You can put your name is better
[08:47:01] Stuart O'Brien: ok will do,and just to clarify it is £2900 serling?
[08:47:44] Ariana Eva Mendes: £ 2900 NO HIDDEN FEES on our transaction
[08:47:59] Stuart O'Brien: Thank you so much for your help
[08:48:40] Ariana Eva Mendes: Thank you and keep in touch later. Bye Bye
Operator Ariana Eva Mendes has left the chat.
The chat is ended.

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

Money was sent to a bank in spain

Alex Watts :

What website is it and are THEY (the agent) based in Spain

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

I have bank details and the shipping company we bpage

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

web page

Alex Watts :

Ok

Alex Watts :

Web page is ok

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :
Dear Laura O'Brien,

Here are the payment details as requested:

BANK NAME: LA CAIXA
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 2100 1928 14 XXXXXXXXXX br/>IBAN: ES34 2100 1928 1401 0043 5425
BIC (SWIFT): CAIXESBBXXX
BANK ADDRESS: C. CARRETAS, 30. 28670 VILLAVICIOSA DE ODON. MADRID.SPAIN
AMOUNT TO BE DEPOSIT: 2900 GBP

Please make the payment to MARINA VILLAR DEL SAZ BEDMAR our shipping manager who will be in charge with this sale and the shipping process.
As soon as we receive your payment confirmation by email,the car will be reserved under your name and as soon your payment will be confirmed by our bank we will begin the shipment process and you will receive from us a tracking number so you can track the vehicle on the way to you.
Please note that you have to choose URGENT TRANSFER so we can receive the confirmation from our bank in 48 hours.
If you have to specify a reason for payment please write Payment Invoice # 63/ 2013.
You will also have to reply to this email and confirm that you have received the payment details.

Marcio-Transport Sales Department

web page looks ok but we have received no correspondence since the money transfer

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

That was in December

Alex Watts :

What is their web address please?

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

www.marcio-transport.com

Alex Watts :

Give me a moment please

Alex Watts :

Yes clearly they are in Spain. Indeed the web URL you have given is quite a poor website, looks very nice but thing such as terms etc do not work.

Alex Watts :

Further I did a whois lookup on the domain and it is registered in Spain

Alex Watts :

What you need to do is report this to the POLICE.

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

we were well suckered,kicking myself ever since

Alex Watts :

Whilst they can not take action directly then it would be for the UK Police to alter their Spanish Police counterparts

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

police didn't want to know because its not in uk

Alex Watts :

I think in terms of being suckered - it is a shame when they gave you a name to make the payment to rather than a company that alarm bells did not ring

Alex Watts :

But do not beat yourself up because you are where you are

Alex Watts :

You MUST insist the Police take a statement from you.

Alex Watts :

Spain is in the EU and therefore they could, if wanted, issue an international arrest warrant.

Alex Watts :

You need to ask to see a senior officer or go to another station

Alex Watts :

But this is international money fraud - they MUST be interested and take action

Alex Watts :

I do not expect the Police at your local station to do anything, OTHER than report it to the Serious Fraud Office and pass it to their Spanish counterparts

Alex Watts :

But do not be satisfied or put up with being fobbed off

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

ok thanks I will try to get it sorted,even if it saves someone else being stung its got to be worth pursuing

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Yes I agree and it is very decent of you

Alex Watts :

Even if the Spanish Police only get the domain hosting closed down

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-wdm3yar0- :

ok thanks for the good advice

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Please do remember to take a moment to leave feedback before you go today.

Alex Watts :

Can I help with anything else for you?