Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a competitor not too far from me using my business name

Customer Question

I have a competitor not too far from me using my business name on his website. Mine website is www.fineartwedddings.co.uk and he has registered www.fineartweddings.biz and also www.fineartweddings.co after 5 months of my website being launched. Any advice?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

If you can prove that this individual is taking advantage of your goodwill and trading history you may have a claim for "passing off". Passing Off occurs where one party rides on the back of the goodwill and reputation of another party in order to take an unfair commercial advantage. The claim for this would potentially be damages or lost sales or damage to reputation.

If this individual will not listen I would recommend that you go to local solicitor and ask them to write a cease desist letter. A letter from a solicitor will have far more gravitas and show that you are serious about your complaint.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ