12826847

can you help me please i am claiming ESA as i have MS about

Customer Question

can you help me please i am claiming ESA as i have MS about a year ago i moved from a council house i bought to a bungalow to help me is their any way i can sell my home that wouldn't affect my ESA payments

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Will there be any equity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I own the property out right nobody else is involved I haven't even had it valued yet

I hope this helps

I have already payed £22

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I own the property out right their is nobody else involved

I haven't even had it valued I hope this helps

I have already paid £22

Thanks. That is all I need to know.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

ESA is a means tested benefit. If you sell this house then you will recover a large sum in equity and that will have to be declared. There is a risk that would have an impact.

At least, obviously when you sell some of the funds that you release will go into the purchase of a new home and the DWP probably would accept that. The issue is that if you have anything over it is a lump sum that must be declared and they probably would reduce your benefits accordingly until that is spent.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.