12826847

Dear Sir / Madame, I am a 55 year old self - employed landscape

Customer Question

Dear Sir / Madame, I am a 55 year old self - employed landscape gardener (sole trader) working in south west london. In january 2013 I owed income tax (about £2500) to the Inland Revenue (IR). Due to cash - flow difficulties my accountant (Simon Austin - SA) for 20 years approx arranged a payment plan which was agreed with the IR and the income tax has now been paid off. In August 2013 SA sent me a bill for £667.50 for organising this payment plan. I sent him £200.00 towards this bill and said i would pay the rest over the next few months. However a short while after sending this £200.00 i emailed SA saying that I was very upset at the size of his bill, especially in light of the nature of the reason for the payment plan ie bad cash flow, and that i had no idea his bill would be £700.00 approx, and that perhaps i am too small a client for his services. He did not respond to this email. As I had not heard from him I instructed a new accountant. He has recently sent me a letter saying I should have told him that I did not want him doing any more work on my behalf, which he has done, and an additional £360.00 has been incurred by me. A recent letter from him to me, dated 3rd January 2013, states how much i owe him (£827.50) and that, although he does not wish to take more formal action, he will do so if he does not receive something on account and a repayment plan to cover the cost within 14 days ie 17th jan. I do not wish to pay him any further money but do not know how i stand legally. Can you please inform/advise me. Thank you. Yours Yours sincerely XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Have you requested a breakdown of his charges?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex, he may have given me a breakdown previously but i dont recall.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK.

So he sent you a bill and you paid £200 and agreed to pay the balance over a few months.

Please clarify: having agreed to pay the bill why do you say that you should not pay? Also why do you think the bill is disproportionate to the work done?