How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Dear Sir / Madame, I am a 55 year old self - employed landscape

Customer Question

Dear Sir / Madame, I am a 55 year old self - employed landscape gardener (sole trader) working in south west london. In january 2013 I owed income tax (about £2500) to the Inland Revenue (IR). Due to cash - flow difficulties my accountant (Simon Austin - SA) for 20 years approx arranged a payment plan which was agreed with the IR and the income tax has now been paid off. In August 2013 SA sent me a bill for £667.50 for organising this payment plan. I sent him £200.00 towards this bill and said i would pay the rest over the next few months. However a short while after sending this £200.00 i emailed SA saying that I was very upset at the size of his bill, especially in light of the nature of the reason for the payment plan ie bad cash flow, and that i had no idea his bill would be £700.00 approx, and that perhaps i am too small a client for his services. He did not respond to this email. As I had not heard from him I instructed a new accountant. He has recently sent me a letter saying I should have told him that I did not want him doing any more work on my behalf, which he has done, and an additional £360.00 has been incurred by me. A recent letter from him to me, dated 3rd January 2013, states how much i owe him (£827.50) and that, although he does not wish to take more formal action, he will do so if he does not receive something on account and a repayment plan to cover the cost within 14 days ie 17th jan. I do not wish to pay him any further money but do not know how i stand legally. Can you please inform/advise me. Thank you. Yours Yours sincerely XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Have you requested a breakdown of his charges?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex, he may have given me a breakdown previously but i dont recall.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

So he sent you a bill and you paid £200 and agreed to pay the balance over a few months.

Please clarify: having agreed to pay the bill why do you say that you should not pay? Also why do you think the bill is disproportionate to the work done?



Related Law Questions