13262538

Hi my son and his girlfriend moved into a flat together, both

Customer Question

Hi my son and his girlfriend moved into a flat together, both names on the rent….when they did this us as parents and my sons grandparents agreed to put carpets curtains, electrical goods and furniture in the place on the understanding they stayed together as a family. We put everything in our a name and told our son that it was agreed that these items would be loaned to him as long as they stayed together…..well within weeks they have split up. There is also my young granddaughter we bought everything for! My son is still in the property and his girlfriend is now with her mother….however my son says he'll give up the flat and move into private accommodation. We say thats fine but he must bring everything with him that we bought. His girlfriend is now kicking off saying he and ourselves can't see our granddaughter, his daughter unless he leaves everything behind!! We have said no thats not right, that the stuff was bought by us and that it was lent to my son if they stayed together….she is saying we gave it them!!! Help…..to me, we had an agreement with my son, not his girlfriend!! Where do we stand on this. Thanks.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Can you prove that you paid for everything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes....

Then your son is entitle to remove them from the property when he leaves - although he may wish to think carefully about the needs of the child
So far as Contact is concerned the law says that a Child is entitled to reasonable contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
The mother cannot simply refuse contact - and if she does and negotiating with her using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) fails then he can apply to the court for a Defined Contact Order.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details