Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Im looking to return to the UK after 4 years overseas. I have

Customer Question

I'm looking to return to the UK after 4 years overseas. I have a poor credit record in the UK which I think will cause me issues in gaining employment.

I'd like to engage with a law firm who have a detailed understanding of how the credit check system works as well experience in negotiating financial settlements so that I can resolve the issue.
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. I will try to assist you.

What is your question?

What kind of work are you seeking? Why do you consider your credit rating will affect you getting a job?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies it wasn't very clearly phrased was it?
I'm looking for advice on options of who to engage with, ie experts in this field as I think it is going to take a bit of time and effort to sort out.

I work in financial services in which a credit check is a must for employment

Kind regards, Ian
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Aha, I see. We are not permitted to refer to firms etc on here as this is a site dealing with questions and problems.

You can search for debt specialist solicitors. However, I really don't think you would need to engage solicitors to do this. It is fairly simple for you to resolve.

Do you have much debt? Have you missed repayments? Do you believe or know if these companies may have obtained county court judgements against you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A fair amount about 50 or 60k
Possibly a CCJ. I'm not sure what has happened in my absence.

The issue is one of getting the entries removed from the credit check file

Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
There are many companies that will perform searches for you to check if there are any CCJs against you. You will need to provide your name, address (last known in UK) etc and any records will come up. Try, for example, http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself or experian for a full credit check (often if you have never used this, the initial month is free). You will have to pay for these searches. These sites also detail what you need to do.

If there is a CCJ or CCJs then you can contact the company to try and arrange to satisfy them. However, even if you do, they will stay on your record for a period of 6 years.

With regards to work, you will have to be honest with any potential employers especially if you work in the financial sector. Explain the position and advise that you have entered into agreements to pay these debts.

I hope this assists. If you have any further questions, please ask. Alternatively, I wish you every success with this.