Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I sold a ring on ebay - the buyer has asked for a full

Customer Question

I sold a ring on ebay - the buyer has asked for a full refund as the rig cannot be re-sized to fit the finger on which she wished to wear the ring. My listing states "no returns" obviously if the ring were not up to standard or damaged the matter would be different. In my listing I gave an approx. size for the ring not an exact one - the buyer in two different emails states that the ring would have to be altered 4 sizes or 3 sizes to wear it on the finger she wanted it for. I suggested that she wear the ring on a different finger she has now opened a case on ebay and I wonder if you could tell me what my position is.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

The position is as follows:
1. You are bound to deliver a ring that is as you advertised. If the ring is not as advertised you would be liable to accept a return;
2. To the buyer the maxim "caveat emptor" applies - buyer beware. If the buyer knew the size of the ring when they bought and you made no mention of whether the ring could be re-sized or not then I am afraid that is the buyers bad bargain.

As long as you were completely open and honest in your advertisement to the buyer, I do not believe the buyer's claim is likely to succeed.

Can I assist you any further?

AJ