29905560

I am looking to buy a new kitchen. So I went to 3 different

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a new kitchen. So I went to 3 different retailers to get quotes. The first one called & measured up - fine. The second one came & measured up, producing a computer picture of what the kitchen would look like. Then he told me that if I bought it then & there, I could save, on a special promotion, about 20% of the cost. Obviously, a good salesman, because I signed and gave a deposit of about £4,800 being about 33% ot the total. I have since realised that the cost is way over what I think it should be and doesn't quite meet all my needs.
Do I have any rights with regard to a cooling-off period to cancel this contract?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Did all of this happen at the employer's premises, i.e. not in your house?

JACUSTOMER-8heffhez- :

In my house

Ben Jones :

When did it happen?

JACUSTOMER-8heffhez- :

Tuesday evening

Ben Jones :

and they have not started doing any work yet?

JACUSTOMER-8heffhez- :

No. I am expecting a surveyor to call and check measurements etc. on Saturday.

Ben Jones :

ok thanks let me get my response ready please

JACUSTOMER-8heffhez- :

Sorry, this is taking too long. I have to exit.

Ben Jones :

Do you not need advice any longer?

Ben Jones :

I do have to research and type up my response I'm afraid

Ben Jones :

You will have certain rights under The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work etc. Regulations 2008 (known as the Doorstep Selling Regulations). These allow customers to cancel a contract that has been entered into on their premises and give them a 7-day cooling off period. This means that you can contact the other party and ask them to cancel the agreement you have entered into, and you should get back any deposit/payments made. This is especially the case if no work has yet begun and no expenses have been made by the company.

Trading Standards have published a very detailed note about this law and your rights and you can check it here:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/aberdeen/bus1item.cgi?file=*BADV675-0100.txt

It is from Aberdeen County Council but the law is the same in England so ignore that. It gives you full details of your rights and what you need to do to cancel the contract, including a template letter.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?