LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have put a wrong name on my sons surname would like to put

Customer Question

I have put a wrong name on my sons surname would like to put the right persons name but he refusing can it be done

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a lawyer of over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this. Can you just tell me a bit more abut where and how you have made this mistake?

JACUSTOMER-arjjc047- :

i tought my child father was someone that i was seen but i did dna test and it came out different. i have lost the dna test paper and the real father wont cooporate in changing the name i have no contact with the other person.

JACUSTOMER-arjjc047- :

the real father pays money in hand he dosent want to pay direct to my account he dosent want me to take him to csa so i can have proof but he is not willing in changin the name onthe birth cirtificate.

LondonlawyerJ :

You can change the details on the registration. You will need the following forms. This one to change the child’s surname.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236556/Application_form_-_Birth_Correction_V4_2__U_.pdf t

This one to remove the wrong father’s details if they are on the register.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/252413/Application_to_remove_wrong_fathers_details.pdf

This is how you apply to correct the register entry

General Information

A correction can only be made when the information on the certificate is wrong. The certificate cannot be corrected

to show new information if your circumstances change after the birth is registered. A correction is made in the

register held at the office responsible for the area where the birth took place.

Generally, corrections fall into two categories:

1. Corrections that can be made at the register office for the area where the person was born – these tend to

be minor mistakes e.g. - in an occupation, a parent’s place of birth, an address etc.

2. Corrections that need to be sent to the General Register Office (GRO) – these tend to be mistakes

involving names.

2. How do I apply for a correction?

First of all, you should contact the register office for the area where the birth was registered to find out if it is a

mistake that they can correct. Alternatively, you can ring GRO on 0300 123 1837 who can also confirm where your

application needs to be sent.

If the local register office can make the correction, you will need to arrange an appointment with them.

If it is an application that must be sent to GRO, you will need to complete an application form.

3. Where can I get an application form?

• by downloading it from www.gov.uk/correct-birth-registration/how-to-apply

• your local register office may be able to supply you with one

• you can get one from GRO by ringing 0300 123 1837

4. Who can apply for a correction?

• the mother

• the father (if his details are included on the certificate)

If neither parent is available it may be possible for the child named on the certificate to apply themselves. If you are

applying for a correction to a child’s name, the application form will need to be signed by both parents if they are

both named on the birth certificate.

5. What does a correction look like?

The original information will always be shown as it was first given, but a note will be written against the registration

explaining what the correct information should be and the date when the correction was made. Any full certificates

issued from that point on will include the note in the margin.

Short birth certificates, which show only the child’s correct name, sex, date and place of birth, do not show the note

in the margin.

6. Do I need to prove that the birth certificate is wrong?

You need to show that the information originally given at the time of the registration was wrong. You will have to

provide a copy of the birth certificate and produce document(s) that clearly shows what the correct information

should have been. These document(s) should be valid or dated around the date of birth.

It is not possible to list every example of what will be acceptable but it should be an official document which shows

the correct information. Typical examples will include:

• passport

• identity card

• photocard driving licence

• letter from a government

department

• bank/building society statement

• utility bill

• credit card statement

• letter from a hospital/doctor

2

If you cannot send us any proof, then normally a correction will not be possible. Further advice can be obtained by

ringing 0300 123 1837

7. Do I need to send in original documents?

You should only send in documents which have been certified by a professional person or a person of good standing

in the community as a true copy of the original. A list giving examples of the type of person that would be suitable

can be found at:

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Acceptable certifiers are listed in the section ‘Occupations’.

The person should not be related by birth or marriage to the applicant(s), be in a personal relationship with the

applicant or live at the same address. The person certifying documents should:

• include the words - “Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me”

• sign

• print their name

• confirm their occupation

• add their address and telephone number

However, GRO reserves the right to ask you to submit the original document if needed.

GRO will confidentially destroy all certified copies submitted here unless we are asked to return them.

8. Do I have to be there when the registration is corrected?

If the correction is being carried out by the register office in the area where the person was born, you need to

organise a time with them when you can go to witness the correction and sign the note in the register.

If it is a correction that needs to be sent to GRO, you can indicate on the application form whether or not you want to

be present when the correction is being made.

However, if the correction involves a serious mistake you may be asked to make a statutory declaration. This

declaration must be signed by someone who is legally qualified to attest an oath - e.g. a solicitor or a magistrate. A

fee may be charged for this service. In these cases, you will not have to be present for the correction.

9. How long does a correction take?

For corrections that can be made at the register office in the area where the person was born, you will need to

contact them to arrange an appointment. As different local register offices can have different targets, we cannot give

precise timescales.

For corrections that have to be sent to GRO, if there are no problems with your application, you can expect the

paperwork authorising the correction to be sent out within 10 working days. If GRO need more information or you

need to send in more paperwork or make a statutory declaration, each further reply may to take up to 20 working

days.

However, in exceptional circumstances, it may not always be possible to meet these targets.

10. Where can I find out more?

You can contact the register office in the area where the person was born. They will be happy to explain what you

need to do.

This is how to remove the wrong father’s details.

1. General Information

A paternity correction can only be made when it has been proven either by a DNA test or a court order that the man

named on the certificate is not the natural father of the child.

A correction is made in the register held at the register office responsible for the area where the birth took place.

However, all corrections involving paternity always need to be authorised by the General Register Office (GRO)

2. How do I apply for a correction?

You will need to complete an application form and send it to GRO

3. Where can I get an application form?

4. Who can apply for a correction?

• the mother

• the natural father

• the man named on the birth certificate

• a person with legal responsibility for the child

You will need to supply a contact address for the mother, the man named on the certificate and the natural father (if

he took part in the DNA tests). The form will need to be signed by all person(s) making the application.

5. Do I need to prove that the birth certificate is wrong?

You will need to prove that the man currently named on the certificate is not the natural father of the child. You will

have to produce a recognised DNA test report or a court order which either excludes the man named of the

certificate from paternity or confirms the name of the true biological father. You should also send a copy of the

child’s birth certificate with your application.

6. Are all DNA test results accepted as evidence?

Only certain types of DNA tests are acceptable. Tests shown as being for ‘peace of mind’ or ‘not suitable for legal

purposes’ cannot be accepted. Only DNA tests where the identities of the persons tested have been established

can be used to support a correction. A list of approved testers can be found at:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/paternity-testing/paternity-test

can be found at:

• sign

• print their name

• confirm their occupation

• add their address and telephone number 2

However, GRO reserves the right to ask you to submit the original document if requested.

8. What does a correction look like?

A correction is made by a registrar inserting a note in the margin of the child’s birth registration. The birth registration

is the legal record of the birth and is kept at the register office responsible for the area in which the child was born.

The note will show that the details of the named man should not have been registered. The correction will not put the

true father’s details into the birth entry. For this to take place the birth will need to be re-registered (see Section 12).

The correcting marginal note and the original information will still appear in all full birth certificates issued from the

birth entry in future. This is because birth certificates must show the same information as the birth entry.

Short birth certificates, which show only the child’s name, sex, date and place of birth, do not show the marginal

note.

9. Can I change the child’s surname as part of the correction?

No. Only information found to be wrong can be corrected in a birth entry. For this reason, the child’s surname cannot

be changed as this was the surname in which it was intended to bring the child up.

10. Do I have to be there when the registration is corrected?

No. A correction can only be made if statutory declarations about the error are made by two people with knowledge

of the facts. A statutory declaration is a legal statement made before a solicitor or some other person who is legally

able to witness an oath. The people who would be considered acceptable to make a statutory declaration would be :

• the mother

• the named man

• the natural father, if he took part in the DNA tests and was proven to be the father

• the DNA tester (it is likely the DNA tester will charge a fee for this service)

GRO will provide statutory declaration forms and instructions for making them after acceptable evidence has been

provided and once it is clear who will make them.

11. How long does a correction take?

If there are no problems with your application, you can expect to be contacted within 10 working days. If we ask you

for more information or you need to send in more paperwork, each further reply may to take up to 20 working days.

12. Can the natural father be put in the birth entry?

After the correction has been made, the mother and the true father can apply together to register the birth again.

This re-registration will then show the true father’s details. More information on re-registrations can found at:

https://www.gov.uk/adding-fathers-name-birth-certificate

13. Where can I find out more?

need to do. Alternatively, you can telephone GRO who will advise you on your individual circumstances and how to

apply for a correction.

All this information is from the General Register Office.

I hope this helps and please contact me if I can be of any further help. Also please rate my service.

JACUSTOMER-arjjc047- :

if i take the father to csa or if he pays direct to my account can that be a proof to change the surname on the birth certificate.

LondonlawyerJ :

no.