75100385

Our landlord has sent us a letter saying he is putting the

Customer Question

Our landlord has sent us a letter saying he is putting the rent up from £628 PCM to £833.33 as from now. Can he do this without any agreement. Our tenancy agreement lapsed many years ago and he has not got round to renewing it. We have been living at the property 16 years and orginaly the rent was £420 but he has put it up over the years to the amount it is now. We have always paid the extra and my husband and I have been working three jobs to pay for are rent. But we cannot pay this extra money which is an increase of £50 per week. Can you please help us with advice. We are very worried he might tell us to get out.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What type of agreement do you have please?
JACUSTOMER-nydo52v9- :

We had one when we moved in 16yrs ago for a year the rent at that time was agreed at £420 PCM. But the past 15yrs we have not been asked to sign an agreement so don't have a tenancy agreement at all and have not had one since 1998. We moved in on september 1997. The letter he wrote to us said that he feels the rental value of the property should be £1020 but because we are long term tenants he is willing to keep it reduced to £833.33 and the fact that he has fixed the roof that was leaking (For the past 4yrs)Bringing the house up to a higher standard he has no alternative but to increase the rent with immediate effect so we have just 2 weeks in order to find the additional rent of £205

Alex Watts : How much notice did he give you? Does it say it is a section 10 notice?