13262538

My late husband tookout a shared appreciation mortgage and

My late husband tookout a shared appreciation mortgage and although I was asked to sign the repayment document. I was not party to the original application and was not given any advice or had any discussion with the agent. Having sold the property I discover documents have a wrong name and date of birth for me.
I have tried several avenues to put my case forward to the institutions involved. What can I do now? Please help
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - you were aware of the application and the money was received?
Are you in a position to repay the original funds?
What were the funds used for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The funds were used for home upgrading and yes it has now been repaid (share appreciation mortgage scheme)

Optional Information:
System of Law: England-and-Wales

Already Tried:
Wriring to the Financial Ombudsman

What issue are you trying to address at this stage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to take legal action against the institution who:

1- Failed in their duty of care to advice me of the implications of signing the document.

2- Using a wrong name and date of birth to process the documents

3- Had the agent made sure I was part of the negotiations He would have had my corrct name and date of birth

Merle

What loss have you suffered?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good day Clare

75% of the sale price of the property appx £253000

Thanks for your responses so far

I am sorry - I though you accepted that the money was received and used - is this not the case?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good day Clare

Please forgive me but let me explain:

Shared Ownership mortgate in1979 allowed retired home owners to borrow money using their home as collateral.

The loan amount £50,000 interest free to be repaid when the property is sold.

The condition attached is the lender is entitled to 75% of any increase in the value of the property. Property value increased.

So the final repayment on the sale of the property was £50,000 plus 75% of any increase in the value.

My late husband was the one who applied for the loan. After his death the property was sold. I had to repay not only £50000 but also an additional £243,750. Total = £293750.

Unfortunately I signed papers but I was not made fully aware of the additional 75% payment. As I said before had I been party to the original negotiations I would not have signed. I signed only when the lenders returned the documents to say the Title has two names therfore requires two signatures. Later documents from the lenders that I had not seen before revealed my incorrect name and date of birth.

This is just a summary of events

Hope this explains a little further my reason for wanting to take legal actions to recover my lossess.

For clarity - you were aware of the loan BEFORE the money was received and you did sign the paperwork - and could have refused is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I was aware of the loan before the money was received

Yes I did sign because I understood at the time that on the sale of the property the loan of £50,000 would be repaid. I was quite happy to repay it.

What was not explained to me was the additional 75% increase of the value of the property, which had to be repaid in addition to £50,000.

As I said before the application was signed by my late husband as he conducted the initial discussions with the agent who sent the documents off to the lenders. The agent failed to take into account the joint ownership, document required two signatures and as such failed to advise me of the implications. The lenders returned the document saying my name is XXXXX XXXXX Title of the property and that requires that I sign the document as well. That was the first time I saw the application.

If I understood the implications I would not have signed as it left me unable to purchase even a small flat. I was left lodging with neighbours. I now owe the lenders £50,000 again which they offered as compassionate loan to be repaid when this new property (a retirement flat) is sold.

what Interest did you think would be paid?
For clarity - why was this repayable on the death of your husband - rather than that of the second to die?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The loan is interest free. Repayment is not conditional on death but when the property is sold.

See Share Ownsership mortagae scheme 1979.

The issues raised here are:

1- I was not advised of the additional 75% payable

2- The application that the agent completed has my name and date of birth wrong, this is because he did not consult with me when he completed the form himself.

3 - I was not party to the original discussions he had with my late husband.

I understand the issues but the problem is that you signed the paperwork and personally benefited from the monies
Are you saying that you were coerced into signing them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare

Thanks for getting back to me

Yes I was coerced into signing the documents

Merle

Do you have any evidence of this/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

Yes I have the document I signed with the agent witnessing my signature

Merle

What evidence do you have of the coercion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only evidence is the agent saying if I did not sign my husband would not get the loan. So maybe more pressured into signing than coerced.

What reason did the Ombudsman give for rejecting your complaint?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

In FOS letter dated Jan 10th 2013, I quote

"You will see from the papers that the advice to take out the plan was given by a representative of .................(I have ommitted the company's name for now). I am sorry to have to tell you that it appears we cannot consider the complaint. In simple terms this is because the provision of a mortgage advice was not a regulated activity at the time.

Mortgage advice did not become a regulated activity until 31 October 2004.

Other paragraphs of this letter:

Although parliament intoduced transitional order, this company was not a member of the Mortgage Code Compliance Board when it provided advice. The company neede to have held membership immediately before 31st October 2004.

Is the agent still around at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

I don't know.

I have his address at the time my husband did business with him, I would have to put a trace on it to find out, not sure how though

Merle

Please excuse this question - it is very relevant but does seem intrusive - is there anyone who might confirm that your late husband was a forceful man.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

No not really

Merle

Hi Merle
The problem is that you did sign the document and from what you have said there is no evidence that a refusal would have put you at risk.
It is clear that you were not involved actively in the paperwork since your name and dob is wrong.
However it is not unusual for one partner to take the lead.
Since this was not a loan for a separate business there was (and indeed still is) no requirement for the other person to be advised to take separate advice on the implications - since you will both benefit then your signature is accepted at face value.
In the absence of any evidence that not signing would have placed you at risk I am afraid that there is simply no way forward with reference to any case law currently in existence.
I am sorry - this is not the news I would wish to give - but I have looked at every possible aspect
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.