13262538

Hello - my wife and I decided that our marriage was at an end

Customer Question

Hello - my wife and I decided that our marriage was at an end on 21st December 2012, we lived in the same house but slept in separate bedrooms for 4 weeks. I moved out on 20th January 2013.

In terms of being 'separated' 2 years as a means of divorce, can I start proceedings on 21st December 2014 or 20th January 2015?
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
Did you live entirely separately during this period - no shared cleaning/cooking/shopping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We didnt share the same bed, nor did we cook or clean for one another.

We essentially lived as 2 separate people although we did travel to and from work together in the same car on occassions.

In that case - for safety and certainty I would recommend that you wait the extra month - as the car sharing could be sufficient for a Judge to decide that there was still on gong co-habitation
Of course this is an ultra cautious approach and if you and your spouse are in agreement that there should be a divorce then there is little likelihood of there being a problem.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details