75100385

My husband is a patient in the Western Community hospital,

Customer Question

My husband is a patient in the Western Community hospital, Southampton where he has been diagnosed as having Alzeimers and vascular dementia. I am desperate to get him home to care for him myself. I am having a meeting with the doctors next Wednesday and would like some advice on where I stand legally - to my knowledge he has not been sectioned. I get very little feedback when I ask the staff what is happening. I am not happy with the treatment he is receiving and the environment is appalling. He has been there since 3rd Dec 2013 and I visit every day. Please can you advise me. Thank you

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : On what basis is he being detained please?
JACUSTOMER-gpq82bpz- :

He was admitted for a period of 'assessment' following weeks of not sleeping properly. I have since found out that this is referred to as 'sundowning' which affects some patients suffering from alzeimers. He is being given medication to help, but to no great success. I feel that I can care for him at home, in a quieter, calmer environment than he is in currently. I am perfectly capable of giving my husband the required medication at home, possibly with regular visits from a community support nurse.

Alex Watts : But why is he being detained?