I have committed cheque fraud from my father in laws bank account

Customer Question

I have committed cheque fraud from my father in laws bank account and have been asked to go to police station for an interview what is going to be expected of me it's going to be recorded

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I been asked to go in to police station for a voluntary interview regarding the cheque I took and cashed from my father in laws bank account I have never been in trouble with the law before and I am petrified what is going to happen do I need a solicitor present and what do I say what do I wear????
Is he going to give evidence against you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not at the minute the police just want a statement from me I suppose

I presume that you are being treated as a defendant rather than a witness? That is what an interview would suggest.

In that case, it will be recorded under PACE and you should have a solicitor. Even if they don't arrest you and let you remain voluntarily it will still be recorded.

Since you accept doing this its probably best to offer a no comment interview in particular if he will not give evidence against you but obviously that is for your solicitor to advise upon.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I can't afford a solicitor?
You will get legal aid to cover it at the police station.

Court might be a different matter depending on your means.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what do I do when I get to station do I ask for a solicitor
You can arrange one in advance which would be a good idea because it would mean you won't hve to go into a cell while you wait for him to arrive.

But if you don't then you will be offered one by the police. They don't encourage interviews without solicitors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you would advise me to call Monday and arrange one for Saturday also what sort of thing will they ask me
Yes, ring around some local firms. They will have somebody available for Saturday even if they have to use agency.

I obviously won't know what they will ask. It depends on the facts of the case which probably you won't know at this stage. The important thing is what answers you give any way and since you don't seem to have a defence it probably should be a no comment interview.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I I want to tell the truth about why I did but do you still say a no comment interview I don't want to make things even worse for myself
Well, thats a matter for you. If you tell the truth then you will admit the offence which would mean you had no chance.

Generally speaking its not good legal advice to let suspects admit offences at the police station.

Obviously you can't lie but silence is golden particularly if he isn't giving evidence.