i have received a speeding ticket traveling 66mph in a 60mph

Customer Question

i have received a speeding ticket traveling 66mph in a 60mph zone, which i cannot deny, but the the camera safety unit has stated my vehicle has a speed limit of 50mph, i did not know, i have checked my reg docs, m.o.t. also phoned dvla, dvlc, my insurance,have spoken to local police officers, i have also photographed 41 vehicles of the same make, models or similar private like mine+ delivery vehicles. i have spoken to most of the drivers, driver owners & asked the question none new there was a legal speed limit to the vehicles, most of the companies had limited speed stickers on the rear [placed by the co] but all stated 56mph i don't understand, 16 mph over the limit could mean loss of license, due to 8 points accumulated, not all for speeding, can someone help

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i dont understan? tell me what info you want?

I was wondering what your question was about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry i thought my initial request was a question, i was always led to believe that in a speeding situation 10% leeway was taken into consideration due to speedo calibration not being exact if this is correct the police has taken this away from me by putting a speed limit on my vehicle is this correct, probably this to many questions at once, if so i didn't understand the rules in the beginning, this could take sometime, considering my limited education.

GATSOs are generally set to a few mile an hour over the speed limit. Generally speaking, nobody is prosecuted often unless they are more than 10% over the limit.

I think though that the problem here is that they are saying that your vehicle should have been set to 50 mph and so 66 mph is not less than 10% over the limit.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

now I'm lost, the limit on the road i was travelling was as stated on the ticket 60mph, i was travelling at 66mph, not knowing the vehicle i own is limited to 50mph i still don't know nobody can tell me if this is correct why is mine limited to 50mph when as stated 41 others are not, except limits put on some vehicles by company owners themselves to inform drivers behind said vehicles to understand why they are driving slower, but that doesn't help in the case of my circumstances where there is nothing or nobody that has written to inform people of restrictions on their vehicles, i.e. plates in vehicles, big red boxes on registration docs stating restrictions, i know as a learner driver I'm not allowed to drive alone, i know I'm not allowed to drive a motorbike on a motorway with "L" plates, as i know I'm not allowed to drink & drive, but my van which is my only means of transport which i use for personal + work is different, again why,

If this is a vehicle of over 2 laden tonnes but under 7.5 and this is a single carriageway then the speed limit is 50 mph for that type of vehicle

If its over 7.5 tonnes then its 40 for that type of vehicle.

I'm afraid that not knowing your speed limits is no defence and sadly not particularly good mitigation either.