Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am registered disabled and I live on a close of Mews Houses

Customer Question

I am registered disabled and I live on a close of Mews Houses and flats. outside of the houses are secluded bays for parking relevant to so many houses. Outside of my house there are 5 parking spaces for three houses but we have a block of flats squeezed into the corner who do not seem to have a set place to park although a neighbour said that she saw the plans when she purchased her home from new and they did have an area to park but they do not seem to want to use it. They permanently take all of our spaces and I am now afraid to leave my home as I can never park when I return. I feel so dreadfully unhappy and just want to run away (if only). I am 67 years old. as we do not have an allocated space is there anything I can do. I would be so grateful for your help. my life is restricted enough I do need to get out and about/ Pauline
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

It sounds like the spaces are not allocatdd and free for all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes Alex that appears to be the case but the fact that we have bays of parking in front of the houses and all the other home owners park each day in the same place surely we have a right to park outside of our home, and as I said I am disabled I cannot walk very far

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello Pauline

Unless a parking bay is allocated to a property, then nobody has exclusive right to it.

Sadly, this means that, even though a space is outside your property, you have no automatic right to park there. The only way of getting exclusive rights is if the bays are allocated or the council issues a disabled bay - if you are unhappy with their decision to issue such a bay you should complain.

I appreciate this is not the answer you were looking for but regrettably I simply cannot see a way round this problem. Unless there are specific parking arrangements in place, the other drivers are not breaking any law by parking in an unallocated space.

Alex.