Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

We recently completed a loft conversion and presented the client

Customer Question

We recently completed a loft conversion and presented the client with the final bill. In Dec I flipently said if we don't finish by the 16th Dec then you can have a £2k off the job, not really thinking they would. Due to the rain and sub contractors letting us down we finally finished 18th Jan. When presenting the client with the bill they said they would not pay the £2k. They are aderment they will not pay. I was thinking of taking them to small claims court as we've completed the loft with no outstanding jobs.
Please advise if I should pursue this?

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Have there been delays previously in completing this job?

I'm wondering why you would make such a comment out of the blue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they were concerned about the project and I was in the process of trying to reassure them we were doing our best to try to complete the project before xmas
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

OK.

Under contract law a party's failure to act within an agreed time limit constitutes a breach of contract. So if the agreement was that the bathroom was to be finished by Christmas and you agreed, then failure to complete the job by that deadline amounts to a breach of contract. The customer is entitled to seek compensation for the breach. If the sum of £2,000 was discussed then I'm afraid the customer is entitled to seek that amount although you might be able to agree a smaller sum to avoid litigation. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is, however, that when a deadline is missed, the party which has been disadvantaged is entitled to seek compensation. Hope this clarifies the matter.

Happy to discuss further if needed. Ale