12826847

I have received an email [email protected] reference

Customer Question

I have received an email [email protected] reference 70 International Airport Road, Mafoluku, Lagos, Nigeria relating to a supposed ATM card they are holfing. They are requesting USD £70 for shipment. I am suspicious as it originates from Nigeeria. Is this a known SCAM?
Robert Muschamp

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you been asked to confirm your card details by any chance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not given my card details. They are stating they hold an ATM card for me and require USD $70 for shipment fee via Western Union to receiver JUSTINE ARINZE - Lagos, Nigeeria

Yes, I thought they might.

Have you lost a card recently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have not lost any cards

This is a scam.

If you haven't lost a card then they cannot have one for you and, in any event, it doesn't cost anything like $70 to send it to you. Also, even if it did, it would be just as easy to cut it up and report the matter to the bank.

Their game is to get your account details and then go about their unlawful business.

Don't respond to them. You might want to report the matter to the police and get a crime number. They won't take any action but the crime number will help you later if this is a case of identity theft.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo, I had hoped you would be able to confirm or advise that this is a known scammer. I am suspicious of any mail from Nigeria. THe ATM card they refer too id tregarding a supposed repayment of monies 'lost' in Nigeria so I was doubly suprised as I have never had any monetry dealings with that Country.

Bob

As I said really, this is a scam.

The fact that you have never had any financial dealings in Nigeria really seals it. After all, why would anyone in Nigeria have your card?

There are literally thousands of these scams and they vary from a friend who is stuck in this country in need some money to get a ticket to come home to a long lost relative who was left you millions of pounds and you have to pay £X to release it.

The other one which is quite common is that you have won some money in a lottery that you have never even entered and you have to send more money to get your winnings released.

Often, these money requests start with a relatively small and insignificant amount and then there is a "problem" with customs who require some money for a permit or licence or whatever, and that amount of money is a bit more, and then there is a further problem which requires even more money.

I get emails all the time telling me that my PayPal account has been compromised.
They asked me to login to check my security details, but in actual fact, the site you login to simply takes all your details and the scammers then empty your account.
If there is a problem with any of your credit card accounts whereby the credit card company thinks that you have been the victim of fraud, they will telephone you.

The moral is that if you have no knowledge of it, ignore it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jo, Thank you for your more detailed answer.

Bob Muschamp

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.
You are welcome.