13262538

Couple breaking up. Partner demanding I pay for everything

Customer Question

Hi there,

I have hit a junction in my life. It's has meant that my finance and I have come to an end.
We have a daughter which has and will make it very tough.
I am the sole earner who has had to take responsibility for everything, all bills, rent, living, money for our daughter etc etc.

We have made the move to split and now she has made some massive demands of me.

1. To pay more money than the suggest maintenance by GOV to support her as well as my child - suggested by the calculator at GOV between £127 -£148 weekly
2. To buy her a car
3. To pay for all of her credit cards - amassing more than 6000
4. To give her everything that we co own

Am very shocked and she has now stated that she will take it through the courts.

I would never sherk any responsibility but this is very unreasonable. I have no idea where I stand or what I should do.

I have also amassed 6000 of debt on buying her furniture and the things she wanted and am very shocked at this reaction.

Where do I stand as this does not sound right by any means.

She also wants to take my daughter to Devon, which means minimal access. I'm fine with this in part but will not be able to see my daughter. If I also have to hit a car and pay for driving lessons I will never be able to learn to drive or buy my own car to see my daughter. It will be catch 22, but have always given her everything to try and make her happy. Am happy to do something's to make it amicable but have no idea where to go next or what to do.

How old is your daughter - and what is your financial position
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Clare. She is two and at current earn 80,000 a year gross / 6000 a month or 1349 a week (all gross)

What capital assets do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None really. We are tenants, but main assets would probably be across £7000 in shares white goods.

You will have to pay the Child Maintenance but she will not be able to get maintenance for herself.
It is also reasonable for her to ask to keep the house contents to allow her to preserve a home for her son - especially given the extent of your income.
You will not be forced to purchase a car or pay her debts
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details