75100385

My friends booked and paid for a thompsons holiday for my wife

Customer Question

My friends booked and paid for a thompsons holiday for my wife and i 5th february in the peterborough branch, no contact was made with us by thompsons to explain terms, conditions and cancellation penalties nor have i ever signed anything to accept such.I contacted thompsons 14th february to explain that on 10th february my wife had cystophy and that we had just been told she had to have biopsy and would not be fit to travel .At first they were very unsympathetic but when i informed them of their failure to adhere to booking protocol things changed. I called in the branch to see the manageress Fiona and she informed me that we were to get a full refund and and that she was just waiting on a reference number to procede.I rang my friend who made the booking whilst sitting with the manageress to tell him this as they were to pay back into his card.ive now had an e mail saying all they will refund is £35 of the £1969.40 paid.where do i stand now

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you have travel insurance please?
JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

I do but policy has xs and have no guarantee of payout, I feel thompson should give me full refund as they failed to provide terms and conditions etc they also told me I would be getting full refund, i only wished to cancel on that basis otjherwise i would have left cancellation as late as possible in case my wife was fit enough to travel

JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

why ask me a question then go offline

JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

My question to you did not involve travel insurance so why is it relevant all I wanted to know was where do I stand with thompsons

Alex Watts : Did you book it over the counter? Did you sign anything?
Alex Watts : Please note I am dealing with client matters on and off.
JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

Look at my original text ,my friends booked in branch nothing signed by me, this is rubbish

JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

Why have I been charged ive not had any satisfactory response as yet

JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

2 hours after my original question and you are still asking me about something that was made clear then, think im off to bed

Alex Watts :

Yes I read that you did not sign anything, I understand that.

Alex Watts :

But so I am clear, you went into the shop and booked a holiday over the counter, is that right?

Alex Watts :

Did they confirm in writing you would get a full refund or was it only ever over the phone?

Alex Watts :

I will base my advice on certain assumptions

Alex Watts :

I will assume that you booked at the shop over the counter and you have some evidence that they said you would get a full refund.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Please note as a working Solicitor I have a number of Court matters to deal with today so if you need further help there may be a delay in my reply.

JACUSTOMER-7e8nxe7g- :

I required urgent service from someone who actually read my question, I fully stated how, and by who the booking was made and what was said regarding refund. For me you took too long.