12826847

Dear Sir, Madam, On 20th May 2013, I sent my old Scouts knife

Customer Question

Dear Sir, Madam,
On 20th May 2013, I sent my old Scouts knife to Nick the Knife Doctor atXXXXX Bangor, County Down, N. Ireland, for renovation and polishing. He replied saying it did not look as bad as it did in the photo I had sent earlier. Since May I have tried contacting him by leaving him messages on his telephone, (never replied), e-mail messages (no repies) and on 19th December by special delivery mail, which was recieved and signed for at 12:38, on 20th December 2013. Still no responce. Before taking Court action, I decided to check his web site address againg "nicktheknifedoctor" but it is no longer there. Please can you tell me what has happened to him and how I can contact him?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you asking if we can trace him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies for not replying sooner, I have been rather ill and in hospital.

Yes please, I would like to trace Mr Nick Breen.

If he has repaired my knife I will pay his bill on delivery.

If he has not done anything to it, I want it returned.

If he has lost it, I want full reimbursement for the cost of purchasing a replacement, which will be in the region of £300.00/£500.00 sterling.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies for the delay in my reply. I have been rather ill and in hospital.

Yes please, I want to trace Mr Nick Breen.

If he has repared my knife I will pay his bill on delivery.

If he has not done anything to it I want it returned to me.

If he has lost it I want full reimbursement for the cost of repacing it which will be in the region of £300.00 to £500.00 sterling plus the cost of your services.

Sorry for the delay.

What I need to know though is whether you are asking if we can trace him or how you can do it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you able to trace Mr Nick Breen orhow could I trace him ?

thank you.

Do you have a landline number for him? Don't give it to me but do you have one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I had a land line number for him and have dialed it only to get the 'the number you have dialed is not recognised' recording.

That would obviously give rise to concern.

You can use a tracing agent to track him down easily enough. Actually you do seem to have his address anyway so you could just use that.

Obviously that does depend upon the details that you have been correct although there must have been somebody at the address in question to accept delivery of your knife.

If he is not answering the phone then you are left with the option of writing to him at that address.

Of course, you do run the risk that it will be the wrong address or he just won't answer.

You can report it to trading standards or indeed to the police to investigate this matter.

Failing that though you will have to sue I'm afraid. It's Small Claims Court sum so it would be easy and quick to issue against.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try sending him another Registered Letter and see what hppens.

Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sent a letter via Special Delivery No. AD683923625GB, Royal Mail inform me quote "We attempted delivery of item AD683923625GB on 07/03/14.
We left a card with the recipient to advise of the attempt.

We returned the item to the Bangor delivery office to await further instructions from the recipient"unquote.

Should I contact Trading Standards at Basingstoke or Bangor ?

Alternativley, should I contact the Police at Basingstoke or Bangor ?

He is obviously no longer there then.

Yes, you can complain to trading standards or the police.