75100385

i am trying to find out what is the legal responsibility on

Customer Question

i am trying to find out what is the legal responsibility on hmrc to close loop holes in tax law that places sub contract workers in construction jobs at risk when contractors dont pay money owed to them i have been told by hmrc if contractor pays their own paye workers nat insurance money they cant be touched is this right please

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Sadly it is not down to HMRC to close loopholes.

Alex Watts :

Government legislate to what HMRC can and can not do.

Alex Watts :

Therefore sadly it is down to Parliament to legislate to close any loopholes

Alex Watts :

HMRC can only do what Parliament say

Alex Watts :

As such it is down to Parliament (so your MP etc) to close loopholes

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :