75100385

I have been arrested for shoplifting approx £110 of goods.

Customer Question

I have been arrested for shoplifting approx £110 of goods. Bailed to report to police station tomorrow. 1st offence for shop lifting.
1) do I need a solicitor
2) what is the likely punishment?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Ideally you should get a Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

Your Solicitor could ask for a caution for you.

Alex Watts :

That is you are cautioned for the offence. If the goods were recovered you do not need to pay for them.

Alex Watts :

If the goods were not recovered you can offer to pay and this can be part of the caution.

Alex Watts :

If you are charged then you are likely to go to Court.

Alex Watts :

The sentence if pleading guilty would be a conditional discharge, costs of £85 and compensation to pay the £110

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

Oh and a victim surcharge as well.

Alex Watts :

But I would hope that without any previous you would get a caution.

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Is the best I can possibly hope for is a caution. I have mental Heath problems and can't cope with additional stress, recent suicide attempt. So just want to do all I can to make this right. Is a solicitor necessary or just go and accept what happens. I don't want to drag this out.
Alex Watts :

Yes of course.

Alex Watts :

I would hope given no previous convictions and the low value you would get a caution

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : There was a previous conviction for prescription fraud whilst I was working as a practice nurse self prescribed pain killers following an assault whilst at another hospital at work. Sentenced 8/02/09 150 hrs community service & costs. Will this go against me. Today was a stupid mistake but I know that's no defence. Do I need a solicitor tomorrow?
Alex Watts :

OK - it is still possible to get a caution as it was almost 5 years ago.

Alex Watts :

But I would take a Solicitor unless you want to ask if a caution is available.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Alex Watts :

Please do take a moment to leave feedback before you go today

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Am I likely to get a caution with or without a solicitor, I want the police to know I'm trying to make things right & can't cope with dragging out the legal process. Who will decide if I go to court or get a caution. As you can imagine with my present mental health issues this is causing me great distress
Alex Watts :

A Solicitor is better placed, personally I would have one.

Alex Watts :

Especially if there are mental health concerns.

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : But will this just drag out the processs, as I don't have a solicitor and I'm off sick on benefits. Afraid less likely to get a caution if I ask for a solicitor as they may think I'm trying to use my health problems as an attempt to not accept a major error of judgement
Alex Watts :

OK - its a matter for you. I can only say personally I would have a Solicitor.

Alex Watts :

But if you wish to conclude the matter hopefully tomorrow just go along and ask for one.

Alex Watts :

Explain it is low value, you want to pay it back etc.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : The good were returned to the shop will that help matters, when deciding what course of prosecution to take does the amount taken make a difference
Alex Watts :

Yes it would.

Alex Watts :

You should still ask for a caution

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : The police mentioned a. Fixed penalty fine how does this work. One thing that might go in my favour is the police officer who arrested me had previously been to my house following me taking an overdose & being alerted by the neighbour. Could this be a help or hinderanse. Dirty to keep going over things but absolutely terrified
Alex Watts :

Yes this would help you. This means you accept a fixed penalty, which means that you pay a fixed fee, normally around £80 - £100 and the matter ends.

Alex Watts :

You should accept this if offered.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Is there any restrictions on them offering me a fixed penalty how is the best way to achieve this?
Alex Watts :

You dont need to be terrified, there is no risk of custody at all.

Alex Watts :

Just ask if a fixed penalty or caution is available.

Alex Watts :

They can only say no.

Alex Watts :

But ask.

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Thanks Alex but how do they determine which way to go, are there any limits to offering a fixed penelty & who decides
Alex Watts :

It is down to the charging sergeant

Alex Watts :

Ask for a fixed penalty.

Alex Watts :

If refused ask for a caution

Alex Watts :

Does this clarify?

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : God what a mess. Totally out of my depth & coping stratergies. Would it be better for a solicitor to ask for these options?
Alex Watts :

You can do this yourself.

Alex Watts :

It is quite simple.

Alex Watts :

You ask:

Alex Watts :

1) A fixed penalty

Alex Watts :

if refused

Alex Watts :

2) a caution

Alex Watts :

That is it.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Some what. Hopefully will get through the night & have the strength to face the consequences without taking the cowards way out. Thank you for your advise
Alex Watts :

Yes I am happy to have helped.

Alex Watts :

Please remember to rate my answer before you leave today.

JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Hi thanks for your advice. I got a fixed penalty fine what are the implications of this? How does this affect my CRB check will it show up. If so how long does it stay on my record for?
Alex Watts : It won't show on a CRB check.
Alex Watts : Fixed penalty is not a conviction.
Alex Watts : Please remember to rate my answer before you go today.
JACUSTOMER-a7qb612l- : Sorry to be a pain the fixed penalty fine does it show up on an enhanced CRB check
Alex Watts : It has now changed to DBS check but fixed penalty does not show
Alex Watts : Does this help? Please do remember to leave feedback.
Alex Watts :