We paid out a substantial amount of money for our daughters

We paid out a substantial amount of money for our daughters wedding last August (at a well known local 'up market' hotel. Her wedding presents were stolen by the Security Guard who went into the room that the hotel assured us was secure. The hotel put the gifts (a lot were cash) on a shelf in a locked room and the security guard is seen helping himself to the cash and vouchers on security camera. We have no complaint at the way the Wedding Breakfast was delivered and the hotel did not breach their contract in this area.
However, they are being really unhelpful in paying up for the expenses that we have incurred and the amount of stress this whole this is causing us. My daughter and husband and myself and my husband were offered a free nights stay (no meals) and to be paid back the £1,000 monies that were stolen. We do not think this is enough and are asking for an amount of approx. £3,000 for distress and inconvenience. The stress factor is getting worse the longer this mess is getting to sort out The arrogance of the Chief Executive has in our opinion been appalling. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX can advise. The Murrays.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

Obviously you have a claim. Your claim is for the value of the items that were stolen and possibly something back from the contract price. I presume that you accept the presents were only worth £1000? If so, then that is your claim. You could pursue a small amount extra to recognise the fact that the contract wasn't performed smoothly but you are not going to get anything even remotely like £3,000.

I'm afraid stress and inconvenience are not heads of compensation in the UK. If you went to court you would lose on that point and could end up paying their costs since they have made a reasonable offer. Some Judges will award costs even at the small claims court if they think a reasonable offer has been unreasonably refused.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

Yes, thanks we know we are fighting a battle here.

Is there a category (head) that we can claim stress/inconvenience/loss of enjoyment from the Insurance co?

The work and stress on all this has been dreadful.

The criminal side of it all still goes on and my daughter has to go to court mid Feb as he is pleading not guilty.

It seems that you can get 'loss of enjoyment' compensation for a holiday so why not your wedding day? My son and daughter will never get their wedding day again.

Why is there not some sort of procedure/law or something written into the wedding contract that should be instigated by all hotels when looking after wedding presents? They shouldbe stored in a proper secure manner (i.e. a safe which two people have to enter together). I am prepared to bring this procedure about within hotels to save this happening to anyone else but don't know how to go about this. Thank you. Margarita

Stress and inconvenience is not a head of compensation in the UK I'm afraid.

You can claim for loss of enjoyment for weddings but thats not what you are trying to claim here and anyway its not worth £2k I'm afraid.

Ultimately they were under an obligation to look after the presents properly and thats why they are offering compensation. The problem here is that you are trying to claim more than the presents were worth.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice