Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am writing my will and want to include my children from a

Customer Question

I am writing my will and want to include my children from a previous marriage. I haven't seen them for over 20 years. How can I trace them?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

There is no simple way of finding your children, and unless you can find them by asking friends etc, your best bet is to employ a tracing agent to find their addresses. With electoral roles etc available to the public, they can usually trace someone pretty easily, provided they are still residing in the UK. Their cost can be as little as £99.

Please note that for the purposes of your Will, although ideally your Solicitor would like their addresses, there is nothing stopping you from just listing their names in your Will and it is then up to your Executors to locate them whenever anything happens to you. Again, they would be advised to seek the help of a tracing agent, so this would not be an ideal scenario for them, if it could be prevented.

I hope this assists you and answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL