Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I was told by someone I was mentioned in a will but I knew

Customer Question

I was told by someone I was mentioned in a will but I knew nothing about it. The person died 5 years ago, what can I do now?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

To be honest, you should have been notified a long time ago if you were indeed a beneficiary if the person died 5 years ago.

However, if you do want to double check, you can contact Leeds Probate Registry who can do a search to see if they hold a copy of the Will. (A Will becomes a public document if Probate was required, and which is required normally if the Estate was valued over £5,000).

Postal Searches and Copies Department
Leeds District Probate Registry
York House
York Place
Leeds
LS1 2BA

If the Probate Registry do hold a copy of the Will, you can request a copy for a nominal charge.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL