Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hello My neibour has recently aquired seperate direct access

Customer Question

My neibour has recently aquired seperate direct access to his property making his right of way over my land (which forms part of the old shared access) redundant.
He has approached me about extinguising the the right of way and closing off the old shared access thereby dividing the two properties.

I have 2 questions about this.

1. what is the procedure to achive this where both parties agree?
2. How long does usually it take from start to finish?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Your neighbour will need to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor to prepare a Deed of Release and you will also need to instruct your own Solicitor as, once the Deed is signed by both of you, it will need to be registered against both yours and yours neighbours Deeds at the Land Registry. It should take approx 6 weeks from the date your neighbour instructs his Solicitor,

Please note that if either of you have a Mortgage over your respective property, the Mortgage Lender will also normally need to sign the Deed, which can delay matters by a couple of weeks.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt response I think this answers my questions so far.

Many thanks.

Can I be of any further assistance?

Kind Regards
AL