75100385

I checked my credit rating a few weeks ago and noticed it showed

Customer Question

I checked my credit rating a few weeks ago and noticed it showed that i owed £47 on an account that was paid off several years ago. The finance was taken out through hfc bank who have now been taken over by hsbc. The address the account is registered to is my mums. I have received no correspondance or phone calls from them saying i owe money. I wrote a letter to them as it must be a fault on there end and it is having a negative effect on my credit file. the response i had from them is that the signature on the letter i sent them does not match the signature on the agreemwnt signed so they are saying they wont discuss the account with me until i get my signature certified by a solicitor. What does this mean and will it cost me?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

This means you need to go to a Solicitor and get your signature verified. This cost is around £10.

Alex Watts :

I guess then you can send it to them and they will discuss it with you.

Alex Watts :

Or if they refuse to do anything you can complain to the Information Commssioner.

Alex Watts :

They are a free service and totally independent of HFC bank or HSBC

Alex Watts :

Their website is: www.ico.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

Or you can issue proceedings to correct the credit file.

Alex Watts :

You need to complete form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

You can seek an Order under Section 14 of the Data Protection Act 1998

Alex Watts :

The court can order that the incorrect information is removed or rectified.

Alex Watts :