12826847

I owe solicitors over £300, the remains of a bill from about

Customer Question

I owe solicitors over £300, the remains of a bill from about July 2012, which I have refused to pay because of the lack of advice I had received. I paid them over £2000, but refused this final bill. They wrote asking payment twice, I wrote back stating the reason for my refusal, they have not made any meaningful reply. Now they threaten me with court proceedings. Do I need to worry about this, do I need to do anything about it? I am not disputing the time they gave me, I am saying though they did the paper work, they gave me no advice about probability of possible outcomes, in the end I had to decide what best to do without professional guidance. They were charging about £200/hour.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Its not a good idea to ignore the letter.

I would write back to them setting out your position. You seem to have done that already anyway but a follow up will not hurt. Tell them that your intention is not to pay because they did not provide you with sufficient advice, and that if they do pursue this through the Small Claims Court, you will defend their action and refer their breach of service standard to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

If they do issue proceedings, you will have to defend them, otherwise they will get a default judgement against you.

It is unlikely that Citizens Advice deal with this for you, or tell you anything different than I have told you already.