12826847
Law

500 grams of magic truffles which I ordered from a website

in the Netherlands, to be... Show More
in the Netherlands, to be sent to the UK, have been intercepted by customs. The police have subsequently searched the address I had them sent to and have questioned a family member. I bought the truffles solely for personal use and have previously used them to treat depression and anxiety, of which I have a medical history. I was also unaware of the drugs classification at the time of placing the order. I now have a meeting with the police on Thursday. What are the implications of this?
Show Less

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When you say truffles, I presume you mean mushrooms?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

They are slightly different, however contain the same psychoactive ingredients as mushrooms so I would assume are classified the same.

Do you have any previous convictions?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely not.

I'm never very good with weights. Is 500 g a lot? how many hits would that get?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Its about 25 doses.

Had you been found with this in the UK and the police accepted that this was for personal use then you might well have walked away with a police caution.

The problem with this is that this is technically importation.

The sentencing guidelines are not very helpful on the point because they are clearly written for much larger importations. The closest is category four of class B. They tend to suggest a custodial sentence is possible but that won't happen. Come what may, you are facing a community order. It might be that the police will offer a caution even though it isn't within the guidelines as they can do things like that when it suits them.

Obviously the truffles will be confiscated.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou. This does help. I'm sure that it is not your place to offer advice, however would you recommend that I explain myself to the police with absolute honesty with a view to accepting whatever punishment they see fit? In other words, will the police go easy on me if I hold my hands up and admit my mistake?

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Just make sure you have the solicitor you will be offered who will ascertain whether or not there is a caution available.

if there is not then make a no comment interview. There's no point in admitting offences at the police station unless a caution is availab.e
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thankyou for the response.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.