Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I broke up with my partner in February and we own a business

Customer Question

I broke up with my partner in February and we own a business together (a gift shop) We co-signed the lease but have no partnership agreement to tell us what happens in the event of a break up. He put the money in to buy the business, but I have been running it ever since (2 and a half years) He is not co operating in any negotiations, just saying he wants 100% of his money back, but the business isn't even worth that now. He considers me to have no financial stake as I put no money in. I have been told that as we are in a partnership but with no partnership agreement to say otherwise, this means we are 50/50 and that if we can't agree on a deal to buy one another out then the business should be sold and proceeds split between us. Is this correct? He doesn't agree I should have half so would we need to go to court? We can't afford to do so. I would have agreed to him having more than half as he put the money in but I have put 2 and a half years work in with next to no wages and don't feel I should walk away with nothing as he wants me to. We are at an impasse and I don't know what I can legally do as he won't agree to anything.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Where there is a partnership in existence but there is no written partnership agreement, then the provisions of the Partnership Act, 1890, apply by default. Within that Act there are provisions which apply to the winding up of a partnership. Basically, all debts are first paid, then capital sums repaid such as the money he put in at the start, and then the remainder is divided equally between you and him. So this is the position if you cease business today.

Buachaill :

2. However, this ignores the reality that you have a valuable business which can or could be continued by one partner after the other partner has been paid off. Additionally, there is the possibility that the business may be sold and money generated which would then be divided between the partners after capital sums have been repaid.

JACUSTOMER-taxrtjow- :

So, as he is entitled to take his investment out before profits are divided, and I know that the combination of the value of the lease and the stock is less than his original investment, then there is no way that any money will be due to me if the business is sold?

Buachaill :

3. Accordingly, you have a number of options. One option would be that you put a written proposal to this partner of yours that he be paid his capital sum but you get to continue the business in his absence. As part of this, youu can also look to pay him back his capital sum over time. A second option would be to cease operation of the business for one day and serve a notice of dissolution of the partnership. This would bring the partnership to an end with the relevant accounting taking place. Then a day or two later, you could then open up the same business in your own right effectively trading on the previous goodwill and clients of the partnership. Your former partner would be limited to getting whatever money was left in the partnership at the time of its dissolution. With this option however, you need to be certain that you can get the lease on any premises transferred over to you. So it will take a bit of doing.

JACUSTOMER-taxrtjow- :

Thanks. The business is currently closed anyway as it is seasonal and won't reopen until Easter. Please see question above re sale.

JACUSTOMER-taxrtjow- :

Also could you tell me a bit more about how I get out of the business, as I may as well do that if I can get nothing. Can I just resign from the partnership? Does this have to be done through a solicitor? Am I then free from any debt accrued from now on?

Buachaill :

4. To "get out" of the business, you simply serve a notice of dissolution of the partnership. That brings the partnership to an end. A solicitor will do this for you. Secondly, if the sale of the partnership or its assets do not exceed the capital put in, then you won't get anything from the partnership's dissolution, I regret to say. That is just simple economics.