75100385

I signed a lease for a flat with a housing association on 7th

I signed a lease for a flat with a housing association on 7th October 2013. Termination notice was 1 month but weekly rental payments were to be made. I paid a weeks rent on 3rd October. I never moved into the property, returned the keys and terminated my lease. Confirmation of receipt of the keys was received on 11th October. I believe another tenant moved into the flat before the months end.
I am now being chased for 3 weeks rent. Do I have to pay?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you know for sure another tenant moved in on 11th October please ?
Alex Watts : If so then you are only liable for rent from 7th October until 11th October plus any associated advertising costs.
Alex Watts : If you can not be sure or you are only assuming someone else moved in then you are liable for a months rent.
Alex Watts : But you must be sure that someone else moved in.
Alex Watts : If this is the case you can not be liable for extra rent.
Alex Watts : Can can not charge rent to both you and the new tenant for the same period
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

I don't know for sure that another tenant moved in. They certainly didn't move in on the 11th. I believe they moved in before 7th November as I had a repair engineer call me in response to a repair request.

Alex Watts : ok.
Customer:

I will need to get clarification about the new tenant before you can help again.

Customer:

Alex Watts : You are liable for rent for the Unoccupied tenant or one month
Alex Watts : Is that ok for you?
Alex Watts : So you are either liable for one months rent or whenever the tenant moved in - whichever period is sooner
Customer:

can I clarify? I am liable for rent for the period during which the property was unoccupied or the month of my termination?

Alex Watts : One month
Alex Watts : Or if tenant moved in before that one month that empty period.
Alex Watts : So if tenant moved in after it was empty for 3 weeks, you owe those 3 weeks.
Customer:

yes. thanks. I will need to determine when the tenant moved in and return if appropriate

Alex Watts : If tenant moved in after 8 weeks, then you owe the 4 weeks,
Alex Watts : ok
Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer:

yes.

Alex Watts : All the best,l