How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Vincent2013 Your Own Question

Vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vincent2013 is online now

My wife and I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block.

Customer Question

My wife and I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block. I am 70 and my wife is 69. Life is now intolerable because the lift is continually out of order and has been giving trouble for around two years now. We are reduced to buying only small amounts of shopping and there are friends who are our age who we cannot invite because they have ailments and require the lift. Watson's, the property management company continually tell us they are trying to arrange something but nothing is happening. One of the reasons we bought the apartment because the building has a lift. Are we in order to cease paying our management fees until the lift is satisfactorily repaired? David J XXXXXXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with it.


Notwithstanding the county court's jurisdiction for breach of covenant, if a landlord has failed to maintain the areas he is responsible for under a lease (and his managing agent has failed to provide a meaningful response for a number of years) a tenant can consider making an application to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal (LVT) to appoint another manager.


In essence, the LVT has the power to appoint a manager of premises containing flats under s. 24 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 if the relevant grounds can be established and it would be just and equitable to do so. It will need to be shown that there is fault with the current management of the property (which could include a failure to carry out repairing obligations). Such application cannot be made until a notice has been served on the landlord and managing agent which is compliant with section 22 of the 1987 Act. You can find a form of notice from the Leasehold Advisory Service here:


One leaseholder can serve the notice and it should set out the defaults complained of and invite the agents to set out how they intend to remedy them. A reasonable period must be allowed for this to happen. The notice should hopefully provide you with a resolution as s.24 is a useful tool to ensure that a building is properly managed (particularly if the leaseholders do not want to be involved with management themselves).


I entirely appreciate the logic behind withholding service charges if the property is not being maintained properly. However, it would not be prudent in these circumstances as there are only very limited reasons which this can lawfully be done. Below is a note on the LVT including some services that are available in additional to formal legal advice to assist you with the above actions.


I hope that's helpful. Can I clarify anything for you?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions