Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I resigned from a football committee three months ago Oct 27th

Customer Question

I resigned from a football committee three months ago Oct 27th 2013 but they did not accept the resignation by letter but I took leave from position of chairman, then on the 29th Jan I received a letter out of the blue saying they now accept my resignation, can you explain if they can do this having not accepted original and I haven't ofere my resignation again. My three year tem is up in may at the AGM.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Yes, they can subsequently accept your offer of resignation. The onus was on you to withdraw your letter of resignation if you no longer wanted to resign. However, once you did not withdraw formally you letter of resignation, that could be accepted subsequently which occurred in January 29th. Basically, once you changed your mind, the onus was on you to communicate that change of mind to the committee. Merely because the letter of resignation was not accepted at the outset did not mean it had lapsed. So ultimately it could be accepted at a later date.