Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Sorry to have to come back - and I am happy to pay another

Sorry to have to come back - and I am happy to pay another fee - please can you give me the HMRC form number that has to be completed as my solicitor doesn't know anything about this? Does the fact that I have all my post including HMRC correspondence has gone to property A in anyway compromised the my nomination of property B being my Principal Private Residence? I kept this as my mailing address for reasons of privacy and confidentiality. Thank you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Hello, it seems I am in error that your solicitor has to fill in a tax form. It seems you just apply the relief and make no CGT Declaration. Sorry about that. Here is a link to the Revenue CGT guide for claiming the relief which both yourself and your solicitor should read http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs283.pdf It sets out all you need to know about it. Secondly, it does not matter that you have used Property A as your postal address. It is the fact of where you live which is important which is a simple factual issue. Just because you use a certain address for the Revenue does not mean that it is your principal private residence.