12826847

I was assaulted on 27/12/13 . The man in question was charged

Customer Question

I was assaulted on 27/12/13 . The man in question was charged with GBH yesterday ! So I was wondering whether I need a lawyer ? And the best way to proceed ?

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this. What are you actually hoping to achieve in this situation?

JACUSTOMER-ucuxbge0- : 1 - will he get a lighter sentence if I do not have a lawyer ?
JACUSTOMER-ucuxbge0- : 2- best way to proceed for compensation ?
I have converted this to Q and A as I couldn't view your responses.

In relation to the criminal matter, you cannot have a lawyer. You will be dealt with by CPS and ther is just plain no role for an independent lawyer.

In relation to claiming compensation, you will probably need a personal injury solicitor to do that but its worth waiting to see what happens with the criminal matter. If he goes to prison and has no assets then there is absolutely no point in suing him because he cannot pay the award even if you won.

If he does not go to prison then you have a better chance of recovering compensation although obviously his means will be relevant.

There are some no win no fee firms that will look at these cases for you with no obligation.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.