Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I run a courier company and all my drivers are self employed

Customer Question

I run a courier company and all my drivers are self employed however they are using my vans at the moment and I know this isn't right. Can I lease the vans to them? Would it be a solution if so can I lease the van with the insurance. My whole point is that the drivers could maintain self employed status.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Yes, your drivers are not really self-employed if they are driving your vans. Leasing the vans to them is an option. That would then make them self employed with outgoings and income. However, again I would suggest that whilst you can maintain a group cover policy, some element of payment should be written down for the insurance as well. Otherwise, the Revenue might query this arrangement.

JACUSTOMER-ys790yio- :

So what contracts do I need? I do understand that I need to invoice them for the van and insurance.

Buachaill :

2. Yes, you should get a rental contract for the van, which also deals with the insurance element. Your local solicitor should be able to help you with that.