31090051

I served in the RAF for 9 years from 1962 to 1971, am I entitled

I served in the RAF for 9 years from 1962 to 1971, am I entitled to a pension
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60.

You should contact:

Armed Forces Administration Agency
Joint Service Pensions
Mail Point 480
Kentigern House XXXXX
Glasgow G2 8EX

I hope this helps.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.